Launch of the 1st edition of the Gender and Development MOOC
AFD in partnership with Expertise France and the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs is launching the first edition of the Gender and Development MOOC. This MOOC aims to promote the "gender mainstreaming approach" in the practices of cooperation and development professionals in order to help them evolve and better fight against gender inequalities.
This MOOC is aimed at professionals in the field of international cooperation and development, so that they can change the unequal gender relations in their professional practice and systematize its consideration in their activities. In a broader sense, it is aimed at any organization or person interested in these issues. It will start on December 3rd but registration will remain open throughout the course, so there is no problem to register after the start.
Equality between women and men is an essential condition for sustainable development. Yet even today, women and girls are more affected than men and boys by poverty, conflict and climate change. They face difficulties and discrimination in all areas and in all countries. Based on this observation, France has made the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, and in particular MDG 5 on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, one of its priorities. This priority requires that gender equality and gender issues be taken into account in all aspects of international cooperation and development.
A joint initiative of Expertise France, the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, and the Agence Française de Développement, this MOOC seeks to promoteThis MOOC seeks to promote the "gender mainstreaming approach" in the practices of cooperation and development professionals, in order to help them evolve to better fight against gender inequalities.
What training programme?
The training program is composed of 9 modules of about 60 minutes each and will be divided into 2 chapters.
The MOOC will take place in 2 parts:
- Chapter 1: module 1 to 4, starting on December 3rd (4 weeks).
- Chapter 2: module 5 to 9, starting April 3 (5 weeks).
After presenting the main concepts around gender, Chapter 1 offers an in-depth introduction to the "integrated" approach to gender,which is based on the systematization and transversalization of gender equality issues in all areas and phases of international cooperation and development. The MOOC explores the issues, methods and tools of gender mainstreaming in three different theoretical areas: organisations, public policies and development projects.
Chapter 2 is based on a thematic approach, analysing each of the major development issues from a gender perspective, including
- Access to basic services: education for women and girls, social protection, fight against gender stereotypes
- Access to sexual and reproductive health and rights and the fight against violence.
- Economic and political empowerment.
- The role of women and girls in sustainable development and the fight against climate change.
- The place of women in crisis and post-crisis contexts and in conflict prevention and resolution.
For each of these issues, an inventory is proposed and action levers based on concrete cases are put forward, particularly in France's priority intervention areas.
How will we work?
The MOOC is tutored over the following periods:
- Chapter 1: from December 3 to February 15
- Chapter 2: from April 3 to June 15
During these periods, you will be accompanied by a tutor who will answer your questions and lead the discussion forums.
Outside these periods, the MOOC is available for self-study.
You can follow the MOOC and consult its resources as often as you like. You will find numerous videos, activities to complete, quizzes to check that you have retained the essentials, and additional resources if you wish to study a particular subject in greater depth. You can work alone, at your own pace, or exchange with other participants.
What is the pedagogical and theoretical approach?
- A dynamic and interactive training: the MOOC offers both short videos of experts on the topics covered and many interactive exercises (quizzes, maps, timelines).
- An operational approach: the MOOC offers informed theoretical and practical content, corresponding as closely as possible to the realities and professional practices of the development professions. To do this, the training programme has been developed with the help of experts, professionals from international and French organisations, and enriched with academic work.
Who is this MOOC for?
The MOOC is aimed at professionals in the field of international cooperation and development, so that they can change the unequal gender relations in their professional practice and systematize its consideration in their activities. In a broader sense, it is therefore aimed at any organisation or person interested in these issues.
How to evaluate your knowledge?
At the end of each module (8 in total, 4 per chapter - Module 9 is reserved), you can test your knowledge with a final evaluation quiz. If you pass all 4 quizzes, you will get a badge for each chapter. So, if you get your 2 badges, you will have access to the final certificate of achievement!